Sunday, July 27, 2008

Modeling Pt. 2

So. I've been offered a modeling contract. But let me rewind.

Last Saturday (July 19), I traveled to Tutu Park Mall to audition for two fashion shows: BVI Summer Sizzle and VI Fashion Week. I strolled into the mall in my v-neck white tee, short shorts, and black Converse all-star high tops. The process was fairly simple. As soon as I reached, I had to fill out a form with my modeling experience (or lack thereof), and my measurements: 32-24-34.5. I'm tiny, I know. After I finished that, one of the agents took full-length and headshot photos of me. Then the big part came. I was asked to walk in my three inch heels. No big deal, I thought; I began my pony walk toward the judging table. One of the judges missed my walk, so she had me walk again. I did. She smiled. She called it fabulous. She promised to get in touch soon.

On Monday, July 21, I received a facebook message.

They liked me apparently, wanted to meet with me the next day to discuss signing with their agency and participating in VI Fashion Week. So I did meet. They told me that I wasn't selected for the BVI Summer Sizzle fashion show--they wanted experienced models. Oh well. But they did like my walk; they said I had potential and the "model attitude." Then came the contract that they were eager for me to sign. I read it. My mother read it. We exchanged glances. The agency, Star Models Management, is a local branch of a larger, international agency. But as I read the contract I asked myself several questions. Am I interested in modeling for the money or for the exposure, or both? Will I ever be a successful model? How will I model while going to school? I have no answers for these questions; I continue to ponder day by day. I pray, I ask God for the answers, I have faith that he will.

I haven't signed the contract yet. I take such legal issues extremely seriously. I have contacted my attorneys to take a look at it, my "fairy godmother" to ask her advice, my "fairy godfather," to ask his advice as well, my good friends to garner their support. I need all the help and direction that I can, everybody. I have never modeled before, and I don't know how the modeling industry operates.

Ambivalent or not, I'm excited for the fashion world.

J'Rich

No comments: